Kenafric Industries Limited
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Function of Job:
Under general supervision of designated supervisor, to be responsible for firing and minor maintenance of high pressure boilers supplying heat and power.
- Operate high pressure boilers, including starting and shutting down.
- Monitor boiler operations and react to varying load requirements.
- Perform constant visual checks, read gauges, and manipulate controls.
- Assure that various meter readings of pressure and temperature are recorded.
- Inspect boiler pipes, valves, pumps, and safety devices for leaks and malfunctions.
- Periodically inspect and adjust control mechanisms.
- Blow down boiler when conductive solids and impurities exceed specified limits; test high and low pressure safety controls.
- Schedule and supervise cleaning of equipment and work areas.
- Supervise and assist in minor equipment repairs.
- May supervise daily maintenance on boilers including oil and greasing of stokers, fans, motors, and other operating mechanisms.
- Observe fire and safety precautions.
- May be responsible for chemical makeup of water, testing of water qualities, and checking viscosity of oil, including:
- adding chemicals to condition boiler water.
- maintaining a chemical balance in boiler water according to prescribed procedures.
- performing conductivity, alkalinity, phosphate, silica, sulphate, and other hardness tests.
- adding chemicals to boilers needed to maintain a good chemical balance.
- May order gas and oil deliveries.
- Prepare and maintain records on treatment, oil, gas chemicals consumption, and steam and hot water production.
- Cooperate and work with authorities and other inspectors as required.
- May perform general maintenance duties requiring skills in plumbing, painting or mechanical trades.
- May investigate and take corrective action for emergency repairs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Vocational school graduation or equivalent.
- One year of experience in work related to the operation of high or low pressure boilers, or requiring heating, mechanical or plumbing skills.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge and ability to operate and maintain high pressure boilers.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy lifting.