Security Analyst and Safety Coordinator
The NGO Safety Program (NSP) for Somalia / Somaliland is a program created by NGOs, which aims at supporting International and National NGOs to operate safely and securely in Somalia / Somaliland.
NSP, initially called the NGO Security Preparedness and Support (NGO SPAS), was established in 2004 by NGOs operating in Somalia / Somaliland. NSP is administratively and legally hosted by the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) to provide it with a legal and administrative framework, through which to fulfill its functions more efficiently, effectively and accountably.
NSP provides support to NGOs through 4 types of activities: Information and Analysis, Training (Personal security, capacity building of NGOs), Response (incident management support), SPU facilitation for Puntland and Somaliland.
2. Purpose of position
The Security Analyst and Safety Coordinator, is the key person responsible for the management of the NSP Field Operation Specialist team.
The purpose of this position is to: provide geopolitical analysis and write high quality security report based on data provided by the Field Operation Specialists team targeting an audience of NGOs; support NGOs during crisis management.
The ability to interact with all parties while maintaining and emphasizing a position of principled political neutrality and operational independence is paramount.
- Reports to the NSP Information & Analysis Manager.
- Manage the Field Operative Officers (FOS) : around 11 staff
4. Keys responsibilities:
- Responsible for the management of NSP Field Staff, with a clear understanding of the pressures associated with operating in hostile environments (recruitment, appraisal, work plan, authorization of movement, mission’s orders, leave request disciplinary measures etc.)
- Responsible for the logistics and financial needs of the field staff in link with the Senior Administration and Finance Officer
- Source, process and analyse complex information for the production of regular security reports (daily reports, weekly reports, specific advisories) for an NGO audience
- Ensure those reports have high quality standards (writing, presentation, reference notes)
- Participate / Produce briefings papers, position papers and other proposed supporting documents to NGOs (Maps etc...)
- Participate / Produce regular oral briefings to NGOs
- Provide specific advices to NGOs after validation of the request by the line manager
- Travel to Somalia (security permitting) to gather information and train field based staff
- Maintain a regular network of information (UN, governments, traditional leaders etc.)
- Pro-actively propose, design and process new analysis tools, special reports, maps etc...
Training and Response:
- Participate on request to the training of NGOs in link with the Training Manager
- Participate on request to specific response in support of NGOs (evacuation, crisis management)
Elaborate and guide the strategy:
- Participate proactively to the definition of NSP strategy
- On request, participate to the drafting of proposals based on that strategy
- Follow-up the action plan based on the strategy and reports against it
- Participate the capitalization and to the development of the Institutional memory of NSP
- On request from the line manager, participate to official meetings (Authorities, UN, NGOs)