Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tribalism, Nepotism and the Job Equation

“Does tribalism and nepotism play a role in the job recruitment processes?” That’s the question I asked my peers at a local barber shop as we waited in line. I was perusing through a newspaper as is the norm while waiting for my turn when I happened to bump onto an article about this. “Well?” I asked again as I tried to sway their attention to this topic, “Of course it does apply especially in government recruitment; everyone knows this and that is the way it always will be.” I wanted to sharply object to his casual way of responding to this question but was stopped by the faces of the others who by then were listening to our discussion and were in total agreement with the response. “How can you accept this injustice in such a laid-back manner considering the high levels of unemployment that the country is facing?” Is this the extent to which we’ve lost hope in our country? I thought to myself. 

The article made reference to the saga at the Kenya pipeline company where there were allegations that nepotism was at play in the way appointments were made at one of Kenya’s biggest parastatals.  According to the article, the Yatta MP Charles Kilonzo has called on parliaments committee on equal opportunity to investigate the matter. The MP even went ahead to
give a least of senior managers and their relatives who might have benefited from these appointments. The documents the MP has brought to the attention of the committee are damning to say the least. The documents show plainly that some of the senior officials of KPC have brought on board not only their brothers and sisters but also their children.
This was also witnessed by the NCIC report on ethnicity in the civil service that showcased how deeprooted the vice is in the Kenyan Government. 


“This is a classic example of the situation in government institutions in Kenya…” he replied as he pointed at the page with the article about KPC. He then smiled and continued “Did you read the response that the chairman gave relating to the appointments; he said that there may be overrepresentation of some tribes in the company, just like in other government institutions.”
His statement was met with 100% approval and it was my turn to be shaved. Then I thought to myself, does this mean that the approach I’ve been using all along has been flawed? Should I start searching for relatives in ‘big places’? Because maybe, just maybe that approach may actually work for me!

Written by,
Collins Handa  
Accountant CPA (K)

Have something to write about?

dailykenyan.jobs@gmail.com